How Kitty Hawk got its name is a matter of local debate, but most people agree that it is derived from the Native American name that originally appeared on English settlers maps as Chickenhawk or Chickahawk in the early 1700hundreds. Since that time, locals spelled the name as we do today, with old land deeds referring to settlements as Kittyhuk or Kitty Hawk. Kitty Hawks 12 square miles are home to several year round and vacation communities, shopping, restaurants and entertainment activities.
When the town of Kitty Hawk is mentioned, one can’t help but to think of the Wright brothers who flew their first successful powered aircraft back in 1903. Yet what many people don’t realize is that Orville and Wilbur Wright actually flew that first successful flight from nearby Kill Devil Hills. From there, the brothers came to the nearest telegraph office, the US Coast Guard Lifesaving Station Number 6 in Kitty Hawk, to let their father know of their success. Station Number 6 is still here and operating as the Black Pelican Seafood Restaurant. The old building is an integral part of the restaurant which has become a favorite gathering spot for locals and visitors.